Thursday, March 28, 2019

Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Today's Readings


Luke 11:14-23

Typically this midway point of Lent is when I reflect on how I have failed thus far in my intentions, and in life in general…but that’ll take me way past my 300-word guideline.

In today’s gospel Jesus liberates a man from a demonic possession. Liberation from possessions (not literally demonic, but perhaps metaphorical) has found popularity of late thanks to the Japanese organizing consultant Marie Kondo. Ms. Kondo’s organizing journey began with an obsession to seek for objects that she could throw away. Eventually she came to the realization that her focus would be more liberating if she realigned her sights instead on pieces that sparked joy within her. Everything ELSE should be thanked and released.
When we’re immersed in joy, we release anger,
resentment, fear, jealousy or indifference.

I find an interesting intersection between Marie Kondo’s philosophy and what Jesus does in this gospel. Essentially we find a guide to understanding how to expel everything that contributes to the chaos, disturbance and turmoil in our lives. We’re reminded that liberation isn’t so much a focus on what we eradicate from our lives, but maybe it’s more about making sure that we contemplate those objects or relationships to which we desire to be faithful. When we center ourselves on what we want to keep, what brings us peace and delight, we find our lives calmer. When we’re immersed in joy, we release anger, resentment, fear, jealousy or indifference.

When Jesus liberated the possessed man, some of the people accused him of being in cahoots with Satan. Others wanted a sign from God. And another group was just amazed. I situate myself somewhere in between the Beelzebub conspirators and the “Show me how you did that trick” mob because so often in my cynical tiny heart I wrestle with accepting simple goodness and beauty. No doubt there’s just too much personal internal clutter so it’s easier for me to hang on to my obsessions and possessions, skepticism and negativity rather than stand and be utterly amazed. Maybe at this juncture in Lent I can make a shift and rather than obsess over all ways I fail, I can liberate the things that possess me and stand amazed with what and who sparks joy.

Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment