Friday, March 8, 2019

Friday after Ash Wednesday



Isaiah 58:1-9A

“What are you giving up for Lent?” A question that is always a struggle. Chocolate? How would I survive? TV? And miss an episode of…? Nope. Coffee? I would never make it to work! Wine? Heaven forbid!! Each year, I deliberate, I moan, I complain, I fail. Is Lent supposed to be a diet of earthly goods? I don’t think the Lord heard of Godiva, Samsung or Starbucks. Today’s readings tell us a few things for sure, one we’re not supposed to moan or complain. The other, for me, is it’s not about chocolate. 

My goodness, how have I missed it all these years? Have I been so consumed with trying to figure out the one thing I would actually have the will power to give up? It’s right there in Isaiah 58: “This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke; setting free the oppressed, breaking every yoke; sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless; clothing the naked when you see them, and not turning your back on your own.”

What pattern of behavior in my life needs changing?  What do I need more of in my life?  Patience? Unselfishness?  A more loving behavior/attitude?

Jesus is inviting us to a change of heart

For many of us, the choice may not be to give something up, but to add something meaningful, purposeful and pleasing to others to our daily lives during Lent: prayer, service and sacrifice. Jesus is inviting us to a change of heart that begins with 40 days and transforms us for a day, week, month, year and more importantly, for a lifetime.  That transformation is good for us, others and the world.  

My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit; a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn. (Psalm 51)

Marija Wierzbicki
Advancement Associate and
Assistant to the Vice President for Advancement

No comments:

Post a Comment